Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On-again, off-again with F21

So many changes since my last post! The big news is that we adopted a 9-week old puppy named Griffin...he's part Brussels Griffon, part Shih Tzu, and all-around adorable. He's been a handful, but we love him and are learning so much every day!

So, having a new fur baby has limited the time I've been able to spend on myself (ie: gym, online shopping/browsing, going out, etc.) When he's sleeping (which comes often in about 20-minute blocks), I try to be as efficient as possible with things. This includes quickly browsing F21.com for cute tops I can wear while I work to lose a few lbs before summer. I'm not one of those people whose wardrobe is filled with F21 cheapies...I prefer to mix high- and low-end...which is why I don't mind a few F21 purchases every now and then for short-term pieces or trends.

Two things I recently bought that I love:

Burnout knit long-sleeve top ($12.90)
I have a thing for burnout lately...it's a great layering piece for spring and has some texture that keeps things interesting. A white, v-neck burnout tee is far better with jeans than a plain one, imho. I thought this top would be great over bermudas, cutoff jeans, or even khaki shorts for a preppier look. While the weather is still cooler, I plan to layer this with a lightweight scarf and ballet flats. I sized up to a M for a comfy fit, but could probably have taken a S.


Sheer paisley print blouse ($15.80)
I read that sheer, billowy tops are a great way to look chic while slimming down and I couldn't agree more. I plan to wear this with cropped leggings and t-strap sandals in the summer, but for now, will settle for skinny jeans and fitted blazers. I took a S and the sizing is generous.




Ok now my pet peeves:
1) Inconsistent sizing - The tops tend to be all over the place in terms of sizing. Tunics and 'loose-fit' items tend to be sized generously, while tees and knits tend to be sized true-to-size to smaller. No clue about bottoms, but I am about to find out as I plan to order a pair or 3 of $12.50 skinny jeans.
2) Return policy - Stupid! No full-refund returns in store, only store credit. You can get full refunds if you shop online, but you would have to pay for shipping twice (unless you buy $75+ worth and then it's free shipping). Still...annoying, esp given pet peeve #1.
3) Obsession with elastic - They have so many adorable tops that are ruined by unnecessary elastic. Too many times, I have seen elastic underneath the bust when a simple tie would do. And oy the elastic hems! I love their semi-sheer floral tops, with the ruffles and halter necks, but hate the tacky elastic bottom hem! I'd so much rather a loose-fit top with regular hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment