Friday, May 14, 2010

recipe: Creamy 2-minute salad dressing

I love me a good full-fat ranch or buttermilk dressing! Heck, when I was younger, I used to eat salads with straight-up mayo. Those days are gone with my childhood metabolism and chicken legs, but I still find myself craving a simple, creamy salad dressing from time to time...even as I choke down a basic balsamic vinaigrette.

Enter this super simple, creamy dressing recipe. It is so basic, but so good. I usually make the recipe below, but happen to think it's fab with a little curry powder sprinkled in. I also think it would make a great base for tuna salad!

Original recipe from thekitchn.com


Ingredients:
* 1 t. dijon mustard
* 1 1/2 T. mayo [I substitute full-fat Greek yogurt since we rarely keep mayo around, and it turns out wonderfully tangy. Whatever you do, don't use a non-fat mayo or yogurt. You need some fat to properly emulsify the dressing.]
* pinch of salt
* pinch of sugar
* dash of fresh ground pepper [I'm pretty generous with my grinds.]
* 1 T. champagne vinegar

Directions:
Whisk together all ingredients except for the vinegar until combined. Slowly whisk in the vinegar. [This supposedly makes enough for 2 small salads, but if you're like me and drown your salads in dressing, then double the recipe for 2 people. Also, I have no idea how this keeps, but it's honestly so simple to just throw together in a pinch.]

No comments:

Post a Comment