Monday, April 25, 2011

review: GHD Classic Styler Hair Straightener

I didn't even begin to straighten my not-quite-curly, not-quite-straight hair until college. Seriously! My freshman year college roommate introduced me to the wonders of a round brush and a flat iron. What followed were 4 years of chatting with my girlfriends in one of our rooms, while we flat-ironed our hair into stick straight condition before going out. I managed to go through 3 (!) irons before graduating.

These days, I really limit my use of irons...it can be tough on hair to use regularly. I had an old Hot Tools piece that did the job for years...and then quietly stopped working a few weeks ago. At 30, I decided it was time to pony up and invest in a good straightener. After tons of research, I decided on the GHD Classic Styler. Although it does have the dubious distinction of being my most expensive beauty item to date ($185 retail oy!), the GHD isn't my first foray into expensive hair tools. I hemmed and hawed before buying my Solano Pro dryer, and have never looked back. With these types of things, you really do get what you pay for.

The first time I used the GHD was before dinner with friends on a rainy Saturday. I quickly blow-dried my hair (after coating with Moroccan Oil and Alterna Caviar Styling Tonic) and then used the straightener, working in 4 layers from the bottom up. I finished my thick, unruly mop in about 10 minutes (the Hot Tools took 20-30 minutes). The result was shiny hair that had amazing swing and movement, and felt so so soft. I've got nothing but good things to say...so here are a few notable pros:

* Heats up in no time...and beeps twice to let you know it's ready.
* There is no temperature setting, but this is a good thing! The tool adjusts the heat after sensing porosity in your hair.
* Automatically shuts off after 30 minutes of not being used (eliminating that nagging fear I always had of burning the house down).
* 9-foot cord is long, and has a swivel cord, which really useful for placing this on various surfaces (under a heat-safe sheath or thick towel, of course).
* The body surrounding the plates doesn't get too hot, so no worries of burning an ear or your forehead.
* Barrel is rounded. I'm still getting the hang of using the GHD to curl my hair!
* For frequent travelers, this styler automatically adjusts to international voltage.

I purchased mine from Folica with a 20% off plus free shipping code, and recently saw the GHD display ravaged at Sephora during their 15% off special for Beauty Insiders. Still not a steal, but better than full price!

No comments:

Post a Comment