Thursday, March 10, 2011

review: Madewell Brownstone Bag


Back in January we re-did our annual budget and decided to cut back on things like eating out and shopping in an attempt to save money and start investing like grown-ups. Each month, I've got to stick to our budget allotment, which has really forced me to edit my shopping wishlist and separate the must-haves (new running sneakers) from the not-necessarys (another print blouse).

I mentioned on a past wishlist that I'd been hunting for a black purse...well Husband looked through this blog (sneaky!) and surprised me with the Marc Jacobs Classic Q Natasha purse for the holidays. I love it, and have been wearing it on the regular. The only time it doesn't work so well is for evenings out...the crossbody somehow doesn't complete my standard blouse/skinny jeans/boots look so well.

Enter the Madewell Brownstone Bag. It's been on sale via the website for months, and I bought it when Madewell was offering an additional % off sale items. I'm pleased with it so far! Now, it's no Chanel, but I love that it's a slightly dressier version of a purse I might carry everyday.

The good: The leather is buttery soft, and the construction seems really great. The bag can expand to a decent size, but doesn't appear to large. The chains are set up so that you can wear the bag crossbody or on the shoulder.

The not-so-good: The color is more of a soft black (not true black), which may bother some. Also, it's sometimes difficult to get the chains to sit just right...hard to describe but they almost never lay perfectly right (you can see a kink in the second pic below).



For the price I paid (around $70 - nearly a 50% reduction from the retail price of $158), I think this bag is well worth it. I've already got my fancy party clutches and mini designer bags for events and dressy nights out - this one fits the bill as a slightly dressier purse for dinner dates and casual drinks (which, let's face it, comprises the majority of my limited social calendar). Madewell also has a suede version and this amazing (albeit expensive) pony hair version.

No comments:

Post a Comment