Thursday, August 6, 2009

the eye of the tiger


No matter how Type A or strong-willed you are, everyone falls off the wagon from time to time. I used to be the most organized and on-top-of-my-shizz person, but somewhere in between getting married, moving, adjusting to a new city, and puppy parenting, I lost my motivation and took my eye off the prize (a completed dissertation, the chance to be listed before Husband as "Dr. S," and getting back into the workforce). Excuses are easy to make - I've been making them for months now! All I have to show for them, though, are pages of data I have yet to analyze and stacks of journals I have yet to read. No longer! I've had a motivational plan in my head for months now...combining some of my old tricks with my new situation...and now is as good a time as any to move forward.

1) Recognize the guilt, own up to it, then move on.
There is usually a reason why people procrastinate beyond that, simply, the task is too daunting. I was paralyzed by having to become completely self-motivated and autonomous...setting my own deadlines, with no one to answer to but myself. Instead of coming up with a plan sooner, I wallowed, feeling worse about myself every day, and continuing to fall shorter of my ultimate goal. But one day, I sat down with Husband and talked about EVERYTHING...what I was feeling, how I was disappointed, and what I think was really holding me back. By the end of the conversation, we had a plan for starting to improve things. They haven't all worked, but just thinking about them has energized me to move forward.

2) Pretty workspace = Pretty work product.
I've always been a firm believer in keeping a neat and organized workspace, to stay efficient and clear-headed. But beyond this, it's important to make your space work for you. My workspace had to allow me to sit comfortably for blocks of time, not get distracted, and still keep an eye on Griffin. Having the desk facing the window (with my back to the apartment), and our puppy pen next to me, lets me watch the little one and sit at the computer with my books and papers. Back when I worked in a cubicle, I found that little changes (such as using a desk lamp instead of the fluorescent, or rearranging my desk) would help me move along. Assess your habits and needs, and try to adjust your physical space as much as possible to accommodate.

3) Make a schedule.
From my first day in college, I had always used a planner...being unable to function the few times it was misplaced. I first utilized a planner with a full calendar, and notes spaces for each day, eventually moving on to an all-calendar format, which I covered in Post-its. These days, I really only have one main working task, and lots of smaller 'life tasks,' so I have little use for a monthly calendar (though we do keep a household calendar). In a weird way, I think discarding this physical scheduler I used religiously made me mentally check out from being judicious with my time. Making a new schedule for each day of the week (from the time Husband leaves for work until about 9pm) has helped me manage my day. My strategy was simple...there are a few points during my day that can't be shifted (my weekly gym classes and Griffin's feeding times), so I filled in the surrounding blocks of time with work as much as possible. Be realistic though! I typically spend 30-45 minutes a day catching up on emails and going through my Google Reader, so I made sure to schedule this for just before I hit the gym. Try your schedule for a week, and adjust accordingly.

4) Write down short- and long-term goals.
I was once the queen of lists. I kept lists on my computer, lists in my email, and lists on Post-Its all over my planner and apartment. I am working to reincorporate this habit. First, I wrote down my long-term goals...not just 'finish dissertation,' but 'finish data analysis for Paper #2.' Then, I fleshed out each of these points with more detailed outlines. Finally, I jotted down some lists for each day of the week. You want to keep these tasks manageable, and be realistic about what you can truly accomplish (especially in the beginning). Or, you could make your daily list first thing in the morning, or just before you wrap up a day's work. I know that there are all sorts of online or electronic ways to maintain your to-do lists, but I always prefer a paper version. What is more satisfying than scribbling out a completed task in bright red ink?

A quick and easy read. The basic premise is that if you make a commitment to working for a small block of time, you will quickly become motivated and actually accomplish more. If you are procrastinating or having a mind-block, just work for 15 minutes to get something...anything...on paper or the computer. Chances are, you will get into the rhythm of working within just 5 minutes. If not, you can always pick up at another point and come back to it...you're getting past the starting point, and that is progress. I'm ashamed to say that I literally have to unplug the internet router to allow myself 15 uninterrupted minutes...this is how unmotivated and easily distracted I've become! But whatever...I've recognized my weaknesses, and I'm trying to be proactive about them!

6) Change things up.
I realize it's not as easy to do if you're an office worker, but changing the scene is a good way to get motivated. If you set up shop at the coffee place around the corner, or the public library, chances are you'll be able to move forward without the distractions that typically hold you back. I plan on checking out the New York Public Library as soon as I get my new driver's license for a library card!

7) Find an alternative outlet.
For me, it's this blog or Griffin. If I'm really not feeling the work situation, I'll take 15 minutes and outline a new blog post or do some training with Griffin. It's slightly more productive than watching tv (though I'm not a big daytime tv watcher in general), or aimlessly surfing the web. Yes, I realize this very blog post is a form of procrastination, but if nothing else...it helps me see what I need to keep doing for myself. I hope it helps someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment