Wednesday, August 26, 2009

review: hair-minimizing lotion & deodorant

Retail: $8.49 (10.3 oz.)
Review: Hair regrowth is finer and slower. Hair is sparser. Greatly reduces irritation when shaving. Adequate moisturization - may be too light in winter. Expensive for the amount...only use on affected areas to get the most out of bottle.


Retail: $4.99 (2.6 oz.)
Review: Hair regrowth is still thick, but slower. Experience little to no irritation when shaving. Virtually invisible when applied, and keeps me dry all day!


There are very few people in this world who I hate, but I do include the fair-haired and naturally hairless in this category. My own hair is thick and dark, while my skin is ultra-sensitive. Shaving in the summer means using the thickest, most protective shave gel available, along with an ultra-calming post-shave lotion...and forget about daily hair removal (ouch). You can usually see regrowth on me by the end of the day...this dilemma has prevented me from being able to wear sleeveless tops or skirts/shorts at will. Yes, it seems trivial, but I know my dark-haired friends out there understand.

I'm probably a candidate to get some kind of refund from the American Laser Centers...in other words, laser hair removal totally failed on me. Oh, it worked fine when I was actually going through the treatments. But, the regrowth came back in its original glory as soon as I stopped visiting the clinics. (Note: ALS is a crock...visit a dermatologist if you want real results or honest feedback).

Enter these two products. I had used the Jergens hair-minimizing lotion years ago, but found it to be very irritating and saw little difference in body hair. At the time (high school, I believe), I couldn't justify the price tag to my parents, over the standard Vaseline and Lubriderm products we kept around the house. When I found out about the Aveeno lotion and Dove deodorant, I was curious...had they improved on past failed attempts? Indeed, there is some debate about how effective such products actually are...with some users defending up and down the merits of the (now discontinued) Jergens.

I'm here to tell you that the products work! Even for a stubborn-haired user like myself. I've waited a good 3 months, just to do these reviews justice. First, the Dove deodorant...I'd been a loyal buyer of Secret deodorants for years. They were the first women's brand to come out with a product that had a high concentration of sweat blockers, in a formula that was easy on the skin and virtually invisible. The Secret eventually stopped working for me...same story with the brief experiment with Lady Mitchum.

The Dove formula has a 14.8% concentration of the active ingredient, which is pretty darn high. It keeps me dry on all but the hottest, most sticky summer days. The formula is an invisible solid (although it can come off on clothing if you're not careful), while the scents are pleasant and not overpowering. As far as its effects on hair, Dove claims it will "minimize the visual appearance of hair over time" with a "Pro-Epil Complex." Within a week, I noticed that the hair regrowth had slowed considerably...I could even go 3 days without noticing any substantial growth, and confidently still wear sleeveless tops. When I did shave, I experienced none of the usual irritation, and actually got a much closer shave. I can't attest to whether it makes hair finer...mine still appears thick. But, after 3 months of daily use, I can go up to 5 days without any substantial regrowth - and THAT is amazing! One negative: if you apply more than 2-3 swipes, the formula tends to ball up on the skin. Strange, but using less is just as effective and avoids this issue.

Onto the Aveeno! I love most Aveeno body creams and lotions...they are great for sensitive skin and incredibly moisturizing and soothing. Alas, they are fairly expensive when compared to similar amounts of other drugstore brands. Aveeno is the only hair-minimizing lotion available right now that is under $10, and found in drugstores. I actually experienced more of an advertised effect with this lotion than the Dove deodorant, although it took at least 4 weeks to notice a difference. My leg hair has gotten significantly finer, and is even sparse in some areas. Shaving is a breeze...my skin is left totally smooth with little to no redness or irritation. I can go a full week before the hair becomes super noticeable again. Best of all, the lotion has never irritated my skin - even post-shave! The only downside is the cost for a relatively small bottle...I only use the lotion on my legs and arms. I also cannot find it at any drugstore in my area, having visited several Duane Reades - I ordered 2 bottles from Drugstore.com, and plan to order more. I pray they don't discontinue this product!

I'm guessing these 2 products would work even better for those with finer body hair. You must be patient to really see the full effects...reserve your judgement for at least 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping to see continued effectiveness even after 3 months!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the reviews! I just got the aveeno lotion, i'm hoping to get similar results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I hope it works for you too...good luck!

    PS - You are officially my first commenter on the blog. Thanks!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete