Friday, August 28, 2009

nailing it

Looking back at S in high school, you would never guess that this former sporty and nerdy tomboy would later count a shoebox full of nail polish among her most prized possessions. No kidding. My first manicure was for my senior prom...I, the naive and weak beauty virgin, was somehow talked into getting tips (my nails needed a full year to recover after that debacle). Hey, it was a high school prom in Jersey, what can I say! I think the manicure featured large french white tips, accented with a gold stripe, and a single crystal on my ring finger nail. Quelle horreur!

Fast forward to college. Living on an all-girls hall - and then a sorority house - helped me get in touch with my girly side. Always the artist, nail polish was a fun and simple way to spice things up. Every week, I would painstakingly wield an orange stick around my cuticles, inevitably make a mess on said cuticles with polish, walk around like a bear about to attack waiting for nails to dry, and get ready for the weekend's festivities. The sacred box of polish made me everyone's friend. Sure, I've got a polish to match your gold pleather pants for that date party! And 5 shades of red for every skin tone.

Somewhere along the way, I got lazy and stopped caring...probably initiated with a bad move during which my father shook the box at me yelling 'Do you REALLY need this???' My personal style probably changed as well (not that I was ever the flashy type) to much more simple and low-maintenance. Nails were kept bare, short and neatly filed...toes were naked in winter but enjoyed a pedicure every 2-3 weeks during the summer.

Nowadays, professional manicures are saved for occasions (weddings, family gatherings, etc.) In fact, the last time I went, the technician merely pushed my cuticles back, quickly filed my already short nails, and polished. $8 is a small price to pay for lovely, perfect nails walking out of the salon, but for everyday randomness, I can totally do that myself! [Emily over at cupcakesandcashmere has a great mini-tutorial on the perfect home mani.]

My supply box has been whittled down to a small makeup bag, filled with tools and a few signature polishes:
1) Revlon nail clipper & nail file: I'm always losing the paper files...if not lost, then they fall apart on me. This nail file will last forever and I can sterilize it regularly with an alcohol wipedown. It also doesn't make my nails split like paper files do.
2) Cuticle Oil: If you want to make like the professionals, a swipe of cuticle oil across each nailbed and a quick soak in warm water will do it. It greatly facilitates the task of pushing back cuticles into a clean, rounded shape (using a towel out of the shower is great too).
3) Burts Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream: This has saved my nails and I sing its praises nightly. I massage it into my nails just before bed...no more hangnails or bleeding cuticles in the winter! It can help extend a manicure's life and even works well on chapped or ultra-dry skin. It's a wonder product, and one container will last forever. Buy it.
4) Orly Bonder Base Coat: MUA reviewers love this stuff. It dries quickly and really does create a rubberized finish that polish clings too. I get far fewer chips when using this.
5) Sephora by OPI nail drying drops: This stuff is pretty amazing. After you do your base, color, and top coats, apply 1 drop to each nail. They will be dry to the touch in less than 60 seconds. Amazing. You still need to give nails some time to fully dry, but you can at least have some use of your hands shortly after a self-mani.
6) Healthy Hoof Lacquer: This stuff is like a cult, insider product. My former Russian manicurist constantly described it as 'good stuff.' It is the perfect, cheap top coat...drying shiny and strong, but quick. It's wonderful as a clear coat on it's own too. OPI's Chip Skip has worked well for me too, but Healthy Hoof is cheaper!
7) Polishes: I don't use polishes enough, so I keep just a few around:


polish

(Clockwise)
*Sephora by OPI Metro Chic: The best replacement I've found for my beloved (and discontinued) OPI Root Beer Float. A wonderful purply mud that is subdued and perfect for fall.
*Essie Ballet Slippers: This comes out fairly light and semi-opaque on me. I like it for summer, on hands and toes.
*Essie Prima Ballerina: My go-to for special occasions. The perfect pinky-white neutral on me. Lasts forever.
*OPI Lincoln Park after Dark: Maybe others have moved on, but this is still my go-to for a dark brownish purple. A hint of sparkle increases longevity.
*Essie Wicked: Another favorite vampy purple. More matter than OPI's LPAD.
*Essie Jelly Apple: The perfect red on my skin tone. I wear this year-round...most fun in winter on toes.
*OPI Russian Navy: The most recent addition to my rotation. This comes out quite chic...love it on short, short nails in the dead of winter. It lasts forever with few chips.

Fall is perhaps my favorite time to sport polished nails. Temps drop, air gets dryer, and I find my nails stay healthy with a few coats of polish. I always feel a bit more chic with clean and pretty nails. And, there is nothing more relaxing than doing a self-mani with a glass of wine on a cold or rainy day...such a guilty pleasure!

1 comment:

  1. ah thank you! I was just frusterated about my nails, cause I did my own manicure and my nail polish chipped 1 day later, so I'm going to purchase some of the products you've reviewed and hopefully they work for me too!

    ReplyDelete