Wednesday, December 16, 2009

what i'm loving lately: spinning


I mentioned in a past post that I've changed up my workout routine. I was loving kettlebells...it made me feel stronger and more empowered, but I wasn't seeing results on the scale. Additionally, so many old-school calisthenic moves were tough on my knees, and I was having some pain in my sciatic nerve. I decided a simple shake-up to my routine might help...the main change being an increase in cardio. I was running here and there, but it wasn't enough to see results.

I had long been intimidated by spinning classes, but the fact that Equinox has some great classes and instructors pushed me to try it out. A few months later...I'm devoted to 3 different instructors and attending at least 3-4 classes a week! Spinning is a guided workout on special stationary bikes in a class setting, in which you simulate road riding by adjusting resistance and sitting or standing while riding. It's an amazing, low-impact cardio workout, burning an average of 300-400 calories per session. You're guaranteed to sweat buckets. A few tips and lessons learned:

1) For your first class, go early and ask the instructor for help and a quick spinning 101 breakdown. You'll need to adjust the seat height and handlebars. The instructor should also run through proper form when sitting and standing, as well as hand positions. Don't be afraid to ask for help, because trust me...the instructor will know you are new anyway.

2) Take it slow the first few times you go, and don't worry if you need to knock down the resistance a bit. The great thing about spinning is that you can go at your own pace and difficulty level.

3) Try several instructors before committing to one or a few, and ask others in the class for recommendations. My top 3 instructors are super different...one is militant and tough, one is motivational but tough, and one is upbeat and super positive. They each motivate me in different ways, and all incorporate interval training. The other shared quality of their classes is use of music...they all plan the class around the beat of the music. They often match cadence (refers to RPMs or revolutions per minute) to the beat, and each song is a different 'set.' This means that every class is different and it keeps things interesting.

4) Wear a lightweight or sweat-wicking top and capris, leggings, or slightly bootcut pants. I learned the hard way that flare-leg black stretch pants just get in the way. Take a huge water bottle, and grab at least 2 towels. If you have longer hair (like me), you'll want to tie it up in a bun (or you'll end up with drippy ends - gross).

5) A heart rate monitor is a great tool to use during class (mine has a calorie counter as well). Some instructors tell you things like "heart rate should be at 80%." Knowing your target heart rate and how to evaluate where you're at during the workout is a great way to get the most from the class.

6) I recently invested in a pair of biking shoes. These attach to the pedals, allowing you to increase efficiency and work your muscles while pushing down and pulling up on the pedals. Bike shoes aren't necessary for spinning classes, but I decided to buy a pair once I started attending more than 3 classes a week. There are all sorts of details like road shoes versus mountain bike shoes, SPD versus LOOK cleats, etc. First check your gym's bikes to see what type of pedals they have (or ask the instructor). Cycling shoes don't come cheap, so do a ton of research and try and find a good sale.

I decided on the Shimano WM60 MTB Shoe. They are 'mountain-biking shoes,' meaning they have a rugged sole with a recessed area for cleats that allow you to walk normally on the ground. The SPD-51 (single-release cleats) fit with my shoe...these snap into the pedals and release by twisting the foot outward (admittedly I totally got stuck in the pedals the first time I used these). For spinning, I'd go with these over the multi-release cleats, which can release upwards, inwards, or outwards. Here are a few good guides to get you started, and if your head is still spinning (har-dee-har), find a bike specialty shop to help.

Buying Cycling Shoes Guide 1
Buying Cycling Shoes Guide 2

Buying Cycling Shoes Guide 3

Fitting SPD cleats

I have seen my legs get stronger and super lean since doing regular spinning classes. You will not bulk up, but your muscles will get more toned and could appear bigger. My back and core are getting stronger as well, and the knee and back pain (sciatic nerve issue) are pretty much gone. Along with the 3-4 spinning classes, I have found that a 1-hour kickboxing class and a 45-minute Pilates class (and 1 day of rest) round out the week nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment