Monday, January 10, 2011

ready for some pain?

I just discovered BodyRock.tv after being stuck inside Friday morning by the snow. I had planned to do a weight training circuit at the gym (my new year's plan is to get more weight training in my life for strong bones and more toning), but instead started looking through youtube for 20- or 30-minute guided workouts.

I urge you to save your judgements until after you watch at least one video. Zuzana (the woman who demonstrates the workouts) has an amazing body, isn't afraid of cleavage, and sweats in little more than sports bras and bottoms. But this chick is hardcore. I made the mistake of trying out the Killer 600 Rep Workout and was shaking halfway through. Zuzana runs the site with her boyfriend (husband?) Frederick, who I assume takes the amazing pictures of her as well.

Apparently these are the only workouts that Zuzana does, about every other day. They suggest Active Rest Days in between, and also follow a 5-meal/day plan. There are a few things that make this site stand out from the rest. The workouts don't depend on gym equipment...it appears that you can do most of them at home, using your own body weight. I also like that there are detailed descriptions of the workouts, and tips for maintaining proper form to avoid injury. The workouts are pretty creative as well (there is a series of videos inspired by James Bones, with titles such as 'Sweat Another Day' and 'Quantum of Sweat'). The pair seems to have a decent following as well...their youtube videos have TONS of hits (Killer 550 Rep Workout has over 2 million views).

Zuzana is also kind of endearing and relatable. How can you not like someone that says: "Even on your worst 'my butt looks like a plastic bag filled with semi-mashed potatoes' days the fashion gods at lululemon have your booty covered and for that they have my thanks."

The whole regimen may seem a little hardcore, but the workouts themselves are tough and no-nonsense. One warning - you may want to watch the videos on low volume...wouldn't want your neighbors to mistake Zuzana's heavy breathing for, umm, dirty video. That's all I'm sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment