Monday, January 25, 2010

recent faves and raves

I've had some good shopping luck for the last few months. Believe me, with all of these post-holiday sales, it's been tough to have any sort of discipline or self-control! But I stuck to my wishlist, patiently waited for sales and codes, and came out with a few items that I absolutely adore.

Steve Madden Veronna boots (Sold out on the SM site)
I'd been pining for the Frye Veronica Slouch boots for over a year now. Sadly, every time I found a sale, they sold out super quickly. I spotted the SM Veronna boots and knew I'd found a great stand-in (they were also featured by Jen at TheLook4Less). I'm so impressed with the quality and color (a perfect worn-but-still-dark brown), and the leather is not stiff like Fryes can be (even after a few years of wear, my old Campus boots never really softened up). The sole is not as luggy as the Fryes, and the fit is definitely closer to the leg (I often have trouble with boots being too wide). I found them on sale, and with an additional 30% off and free shipping, they were a fab deal! I live in them now!

I LOVE Sir Alistair Rai scarves. The fabric is a soft soft cotton and they are so unique. I love the larger size of them...perfect for travel to use as a blanket or shawl, and the perfect weight for year-round wear. The Sammi scarf has a bold and bright print...I spotted it on one of the online sample sale sites, and it sold out nearly instantly. Finally found, on sale, and with an additional discount code, this pretty thing was finally mine.

Calypso Christiane Celle Pazzi dress
I saw this on so many girls in the city last summer, styled in about a hundred different ways. Belted, dressed up, dressed down, with jackets and cardis...the simple shape is flattering (yet perfect for a big brunch or dinner), and the signature Calypso silk is THE best material to take on a beach vaca. Even after it went on sale, I didn't bite, trying to convince myself that I had enough summer dresses. Been kicking myself ever since! After the New Year, my ridiculously low best offer on ebay was accepted on a never-worn coral Pazzi. It is gorgeous! I think I need it in navy and black as well. Hopefully Calypso comes back with it next summer...def not making the same mistake twice!

This has been on and off my wishlist for YEARS. Not even kidding. Years! So many cheap stand-ins that fell apart and didn't fit the bill. No longer. Found on sale and for an additional 50% off! The size is huge...I recently stuffed it with purse things, papers, and a mag for a day trip and it was great. The color is divine. A dark rusty brown with a reptile pattern, which is actually a really cool feature that I love! LM's purses are such great quality. I have 2 other clutches and the leather is so buttery soft. Worth every penny, but even better on sale!

Urban Outfitters Silence & Noise Intarsia Sweater
I have Amber at Amber'sNotebook to thank (or blame - ha!) for this one. Spotted on her blog and worn effortlessly and stylishly....I was smitten from the get-go. Of course, once I decided I had to have it, every store in the country was sold out! I visited at least 6 different stores, in 2 different states. Poor husband had to endure my quest, as I described the sweater as best I could to clueless sales associates. It finally popped back up online in limited sizes and I pounced. So what if it's a size too big? I just wear it with leggings, tall boots, and belt it to get the proportions right.

I've never really liked Cole Haan shoes - they always struck me as overpriced, a little matronly, and uncomfortable to boot (no pun intended - bwaha!) I saw these at Lord & Taylor before realizing the brand. Even more surprised when I tried them on. So cute, and so so comfy. I guess because of the Air Nike technology? I must have had my head in the sand, because I did not know about this union. Anyway, I could seriously walk for hours and hours in these. Most ballet flats hurt my feet and ankles after a while...not enough support for my high arches. But these are definitely different. The color is neutral enough to go with anything, and the pattern adds interest (plus a few scuffs would hardly be noticeable). Purchased at Lord & Taylor on sale and with a wedding giftcard (we cannot seem to get rid of these!)

No comments:

Post a Comment