Monday, January 4, 2010

Laura Mercier = dead to me

Prior to our engagement photo session in Central Park, I had my makeup done at the Laura Mercier counter at Bendels. I was happy with the look, and ended up taking home 2 glosses and a concealer that matched my skin perfectly. It was a compact with 2 shades (one lighter, one darker), that I could combine to use in the summer when I was more tan, and in the winter when my skin tended to be lighter and dry.

For the last 6 months, I've been stalking every department store and Sephora for my color (Undercover-5). Most told me that I must be mistaken about the brand or the color, since Laura Mercier never made such a color. Excuse me? Last I knew, the product was available up to 6 or 7. (This was told to me at every Sephora I visited...why are their SAs the least helpful or knowledgeable product salespeople ever?)

Finally, I decided to return to Bendels - the original place of sale. As it turns out, they discontinued my color shortly after I had purchased it. Now my skin is not that dark, meaning they phased out every color beyond an olive tone! I checked out the available powders and liquid foundations, and those too are only available in lighter colors. Anyone darker than me (or me in the summertime) would be unable to use these products. This just seems crazy to me! And makes me so angry. The SA at Bendels informed me that LM will be introducing some more colors later this season, but honestly, I may not even shop the line when that happens. It's hard enough finding shades that work for me...particularly concealers (YSL Touch Eclat included here)...and in a weird way, I feel totally discriminated against. I hardly believe the market was not there for these shades, so I wonder why they pulled them. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment