Saturday, July 24, 2010

review: Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser


Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser

Retail:
$18 for 6 oz.
Review: Cleans thoroughly without leaving that tight, super dry feeling. Good for sensitive skin.

During my freshman year of college, a girl lived on my hall who I was envious of. I've mentioned before that it took years for my skin to finally become clear, and when I started college, my skin was a blotchy mess. She, on the other hand, had glowy, porcelain skin (along with exceptionally shiny long red hair). I remember scoffing at her great genetics when I checked out the contents of her bath caddy in the communal bathrooms - every night she'd use St. Ives Apricot Scrub (back then it came in a tub) and a generic Witch Hazel for toner. Surely these products weren't solely responsible for her crystal clear face?

Fast forward to 2010, and I find myself hunting for a new face cleanser. I had picked up an Origins cleanser for free but suspected that it wasn't cleaning well and also clogging pores. I was also interested in finding a more natural cleanser, and one that lacked too many sulfates that could irritate my sensitive skin. A quick search on Sephora's site led me to the Jack Black cleanser. Husband had used the shave cream in the past, so I was familiar with the line, and the reviews included many women who were really happy with the product. It's described as a 2-in-1, serving as a cleanser and toner (this is where the witch hazel ingredient comes in), and is made of mostly natural ingredients.

The cleanser has a milky texture to it, and produces a light lather. The instructions advise using a nickel-size amount, but I found a dime size works for me. There is a faint smell that isn't really herbal or soapy, just 'clean.' My face was left feeling clean and refreshed (even on days when I wore some makeup), but not tight in the least bit. Other cleansers that claim to be moisturizing seem to leave a film on my face, but Jack Black manages to be effective and gentle (the elusive combination, probably due to the witch hazel!). My face appeared almost glowy and radiant after washing, and any 'damage' done by the Origins cleanser has been reversed in just a few weeks.

I'm still keeping my other cleansers in the rotation (Aveeno's Ultra Calming Cream Cleanser for mornings before the gym, and Philosophy's Purity Made Simple for use with the Clarisonic or when I put on heavier makeup), but this is a great everyday choice. At $18, it's a bit spendy, but the 6oz. will probably last a while. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment