Thursday, July 15, 2010

simmer down

It's official...we're moving in the fall! To where, we haven't decided (staying within NYC). Moving is a huge pain for everyone involved, but it's also a great excuse to clean house, so to speak. I've been purging our closets in a big way since the beginning of the year, and am moving on to the kitchen cupboards. How much stuff is in your cupboards and freezer that is random and never gets used? For us, it's too much. I've embraced the slow cooker to use up about a pound of lentils, and am busy making old-school fruit-suspended-in-jello to get rid of the canned pineapple. Randomness!

We've also acquired tea, and don't drink it regularly enough to have a need for 10 different varieties. On one of our 100+ degree days, I had the idea of making a super strong batch of tea and sweeten it with nothing but lemonade Crystal Light. It's really tasty and refreshing and practically makes itself.

I just fill a medium saucepan with water, boil, and then drop about 10 tea bags in (pull off the strings beforehand). Steep for maybe 15 minutes, remove the bags, mix in the Crystal Light, and let the tea cool. Pour it into a pitcher, and fill the rest of the way with water. Cool and enjoy.

I don't measure a thing, but I do know my pitcher is 2.5 quarts, and I use one small plastic Crystal Light container. The tea is strong, but the lemonade takes the bite out. I guess it's technically an Arnold Palmer, but tastes way better than others that I've had. Maybe because the tea is actually brewed fresh?

No comments:

Post a Comment