Wednesday, September 9, 2009

back to school

I think many of us still equate back-to-school time with something new. A new grade, new school, new season. Not until my mid-20s did I stop calling post-September a 'new year'. I still consider fall a time of change...a new beginning. Out with the old, in with the new! Back in the day, I used to LOVE back-to-school shopping...we'd shop the sales and come out with a nearly new wardrobe!

As I've gotten older, I've tried to focus on acquiring pieces that I love, and pieces with longevity - that can work for years in my closet. In this recession, I haven't found much inspiration from what's available in retail. These days, I really need to fall in love with a piece to invest the $. That's not to say that I don't love a fun, trendy item...I like to grab a few items here and there at the cheaper stores to keep things interesting.

This year, I've decided to 'shop my closet' as much as possible, though I still have my eye on a few key pieces. I am starting to switch out my closet for cooler temps, and I think my style sense needs a small overhaul as well. Below are my New Year's Style Resolutions for fall/winter! Nothing particularly crazy, but just enough changes to make my style choices feel fresh.

Resolution #1: Stop hiding underneath tented, billowy tops. Show off my curves, embrace my shape, and create a more streamlined silhouette with belts and fitted top layers.


Resolution #2: Stop retreating to my safe zone by wearing mostly- or all-black. Incorporate more muted, earthy colors and tones.

Resolution #3: Use blazers and/or leather jackets in new and fun ways.

Resolution #4: Layer, layer, layer! Especially over skinny jeans, boots, leggings, and tights.

Resolution #5: Have more fun with accessories! Hats, belts, scarves, statement necklaces!

Resolution #6: Incorporate some trends on the cheap! I'm currently loving plaid, leather jackets, florals, and all things purple.
cheapfallfaves

9/9/09 update: Great article about back to school!

3 comments:

  1. S, I love all your suggestions. Do you have that purple bag from UO? I'm thinking about buying it, I need a new fun fall bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have it, but plan on checking it out this weekend...I'll update! It's PVC, but still looks decent on the site. I do like that there is an additional strap for a cross-body option.

    PS - It's on sale now for $59.99 from $68!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I saw that! Let me know what you think when you see it, cause I'm seriously considering it. (doest look cheap, etc)

    ReplyDelete