Thursday, February 11, 2010

dealing with the elements


Having lived in Michigan, DC, Maryland, and now NYC over the past 10 years, I've acquired and used my fair share of coats. This 'blizzard' that we're in the middle of reminded me of how much I appreciate my well-edited coat closet. If you enjoy seasons throughout the year, this list could be a great one to work towards for a (what I consider) a complete fall/winter wardrobe.

A long puffer coat


Living in NYC, I quickly learned that a short, hip-length puffer coat, wasn't doing anything for me. The long streets and tall buildings create wind tunnels that have, at times, literally almost blown me off my feet. You need solid insulation that will cover and protect you to at least your knees, which I've only really found in a down, quilted coat. I picked up a fab Cole Haan coat on clearance last year and have lived in it this winter. The detailing in the seams and back gives me some shape, instead of looking like a boxy pillow. When looking for a long puffer coat, I'd recommend finding detailing that will show a waist (like a belt, strategic seaming of the quilts, etc.). Obviously, a down-fill or partial down-fill will do wonders for warmth and breathability. Mine has a removable hood with a stand-up collar, which is a nice option. In my opinion, anything longer than knee-length looks like you walked out of the woods wearing your sleeping bag, but I'm sure in a places like Minnesota this could be useful.

You can find these just about anywhere (Old Navy, American Eagle, J Crew, LL Bean, department stores, etc.). Some options I like: here and here.

A 3-in-1 coat

This coat got me through my 4 years at Michigan. A good quality 3-in-1 will be expensive, but will last you forever. I'm going on 11 years with my EMS version, and it still looks great through blizzards, torrential downpours, and spills in the snow . You should find one with a fleece or insulated jacket option that snaps or zips into a waterproof shell. You can wear the shell year-round for the waterproof aspect (in rain or snow), and the insulated layer in the fall. Make sure the shell is waterproof. I'd recommend going with a fleece over the quilted versions, for more versatility.

You can find these at EMS, North Face, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, REI, or Patagonia.

A fleece coat
As I said above, the fleece jacket is very versatile. You can wear them on casual days in the fall, or even layer it over sweaters and scarves in the winter. I have North Face and Patagonia fleece jackets, and I think the Patagonia is totally worth the money (the North Face, not so much). The Patagonia has a windproof lining that makes it really really warm (whereas the North Face leaks cold air on windy days), and it has held up really well over the years (10 years now)...the North Face looks old and pilled after just 4 years.

A neutral wool peacoat

The coats above are great functional pieces, but you need a tailored and more dressy option as well! When looking for a peacoat, check out the materials and try and get a feel for it. Wool can be super itchy or super soft, depending on the blend and quality. You should expect to shell out a decent amount for something you'd like to keep for years. I actually have 2 peacoats that I love - a knee-length camel coat from J Crew (the one pictured - Plaza Coat - with Thinsulate, making it really warm), and a calf-length black coat from Macys. I personally love the feel and heft of wool-cashmere blends, and always stay away from double-breasted styles. When you try on coats, consider how they feel with and without thicker sweaters underneath, how they feel when you stretch and move your arms, and how it looks with and without the collar popped.

No comments:

Post a Comment