Friday, September 4, 2009

review: american eagle boy-fit jeans

Color: Vintage Blue Destroyed Wash
Retail: $49.50
Review: Super comfy and soft. Just enough distressing and whiskering in the right places. Sizing is true-to-size to big.


I've been on the lookout for so-called 'boy-fit/boyfriend' jeans for months now. Not wanting to shell out nearly $200 for a possible passing trend (and finding it silly to buy full-price or somewhat reduced designer jeans), I waited for the mall-brand alternatives to appear. Everyone from Old Navy to J Crew has a boy-fit jean, but I was on a mission. Cheap, but not cheap-looking.

Enter American Eagle. They run some pretty decent specials and sales throughout the year...I had been considering these boy-fit jeans, and a $35 denim special sold me. I'm wearing 26/27 jeans these days, so I ordered a size 2 and 4 in the AE jeans. To be honest, I was completely torn on the sizing once they arrived! The 4 fit me exactly as like the website model...all-over slouchy. Amazingly comfy. The 2 felt more fitted in the hip area and upper leg, but the bottom portion was still loose. I think the size 2 worked better for me - they didn't look tight, and were more streamlined while still having the on-trend look. Being 100% cotton (and very soft cotton), they're likely to stretch with wear.

Don't go with the reviews on the website, unless you are a 13-year old girl. The 'real' reviews that I've read are all over the place. If you have a long torso and shorter legs, these may not work for you, since the inseam is longer than typical low-rise jeans (perfect for an old fogey like myself). If you're after the totally slouchy look that most of the celebs are currently rocking, size up. I generally find AE jeans to run true to size.

The only thing that manages to cheer me up when the temp starts dropping is new stuff that can I can transition into fall. Some ideas I'm excited about:

boyfit jeans outfit 1
(Love the idea of a tough cargo jacket with a statement-y necklace and funky flats).

boyfit jeans outfit 2
(Was going for a layered effect here. I'm picturing the scarf draped loosely over the neck, and the bag worn crossbody style).

boyfit jeans outfit 3
(Too many trends? Boyfriend blazer, layered necklaces, boyfit jeans. Eh who cares! I don't wear heels much in the city (I walk everywhere), so I picked the most outrageous ones I could find for the collage. Loubs, natch).

No comments:

Post a Comment