Saturday, September 5, 2009

review: anthropologie jacqueline dress

Anthropologie (Maeve) Jacqueline Dress
Color: Green & Black (no longer available online - blue/cream, yellow/cream still available)
Retail: $98 [purchased for $88.96]
Review: Runs big, but absolutely adorable. A summery dress that can easily be transitioned into fall.

anthro jacqueline dress

My favorite color is green. It's not necessarily what works best for me, but I am always drawn to green hues in clothing stores. I tried this dress on months ago in a mad (and last-minute) hunt for a dress to wear for a July wedding. I found it a bit too casual for the occasion, and set it back in my frenzy without a second thought.

Fast forward to yesterday. I stopped into Anthro around 3pm. First of all, the place was a zoo. A ZOO. I was elbowed left and right in the sale aisles...I blame the new influx of NYU students. And possibly the recent markdowns. Anywho. This dress was hidden between 2 rather crazy sheer bohemian tunics, marked down to $88.96. Admittedly, not a huge bargain, and also a size 0. Now, I was a size 0 for most of the year leading up to my wedding, and probably a 00 on the day (don't hate me yet)...stress, school, whatever, it happens. One year of marriage and about 10 pounds later, I'm no longer a size 0. But I decided to try the dress on for kicks.

For some reason, I always get the same dressing room at Anthro. Weird, huh? The huge corner one with 3 different hanger racks and enough space for a cartwheel. Ok, maybe not a cartwheel, but at least some forward lunges. Digress...

Somehow, the dress actually fit, and zipped up! Without looking like a sausage! I actually had leftover room in my back and bust. I'm still convinced the thing is mislabeled. One month ago, I bought a dress in a size 4... I also purchased a size M dress on the same day I purchased the Jacqueline dress. This dress seems to run big, which is the consensus among the Anthro website reviews. Unfortunately, the store only had 2 left (probably why it was only slightly marked down), so I couldn't try a size up for comparison.

The material is a light, airy cotton, with a full cotton lining. It has all sorts of pintucking in the bust, which I love for the slimming effects. Full coverage in back and front means you can wear a regular bra. The included belt is a matching grosgrain, which is removeable. I'd love to pair something thicker with it...maybe the Tea Rose belt, Snakebite belt, or even a caramel leather one for a different look.

Overall, it's a lovely dress that can be dressed up or down. There is a decent Anthro sale going on now, so try and track this one down...it may very well be discounted in-store! I hope the weather stays warm enough for me to get one use out of this, if not...I have a few ideas for fall:

jacqueline dress

jacqueline dress outfit 2

1 comment:

  1. ooh love these ideas S!! I'm on the search for that dress!

    ReplyDelete