Saturday, September 5, 2009

review: anthropologie walk-a-ways dress

Anthropologie (one.september) Walk-A-Ways dress
Color: Blue silk skirt, grey attached tank
Retail: $128 [paid $79.95]
Review: Gorgeous, vibrant color! Tank is soft but substantial. Runs VERY small...taller or larger-busted girls will want to size up at least one size.

anthro walk a ways dress

The blog world and fashion message boards have been going crazy over this dress for some time. I think it first appeared in Anthro's late spring catalog. Then, the bachelorette wore it. The one that chose that douchy cheater guy. Then, the look-alikes started to come.

Now, I'm a girl with a larger chest, short torso, long legs...and a hourglass shape. I have never been one to tuck in my tops, since I tend to look very top heavy. Just doesn't work. When high-waisted bottoms started popping up in stores - from high-waisted jeans to skirts - it was a trend I did not welcome. Even this dress...when I saw it the first time around, I was very meh about it, and passed up on the craze. Leave it to a decent sale to make me reconsider.

I read so many reviews on the sizing of this dress before purchasing, convinced I'd have to order it online because it would sell out in stores. Wrong. My closest Anthro, at 16th St. & 5th Ave., had all sizes, all colors. Crazy. The bestselling color appears to be the orange. It's been a hot color for summer, and appears to be popular for fall as well (and was the color worn by the bach). Me, I've never been much of an orange fan. Halloween much? Anyway, the blue really jumped out at me. It's a beautiful, vibrant, cerulean blue. It's deep enough to be taken seriously, but the dress still says fun. I tried on all colors, all sizes, just to be sure.

First things first, if you have a larger chest (I'm talking C and up), you'll probably want to size up. The S fit me, but it was definitely tighter in the chest than I was comfortable with. Surprisingly, the L fit fine...the tank part was streamlined but not tight or too loose. Unfortunately, there was a fair amount of extra material in the skirt of the L...almost appearing to be an asymmetrical hem, and quite bulky. The M was a happy medium (hard-dee-har). On me, the top of the 'skirt' falls just above my natural waist...the smallest part of my torso. It has a nice full flare, and ends just at my knees.

The tank itself is a substantial knit, which helps create a smooth shape. There is some distressing along the edges, which adds to the funk factor imo. The tank portion is sewn with blue thread (also appearing on the orange and green/striped versions). The skirt is a weighty silk, and is lined. I played around with the removable belt...it can be worn thin, thick, or swapped out.

This dress also came in a green skirted version, with a white/black striped top. It was available in-store, but appears to have sold out online. The big vertical stripes looked HORRIBLE on my larger chest, so I passed. Overall, I'm pleased with this dress...it may not transition deep into fall, but can easily pass through the remaining warmer days and cooler nights with some layering before fall really sets in.

Wardrobe Review and Anthroholic have reviewed this dress, while Possessionista and Look4Less have both posted great look-alikes (beware the quality, though)!

No comments:

Post a Comment