Wednesday, September 30, 2009

review: tweezerman products

Tweezerman Petite Manicure Set
Retail: $20
Review: Adorable little nail care set with everything you need for a quick and easy mani/pedi. Plastic case is perfectly small for travel and tools are well-made, yet incredibly easy to use. Hangnail trimmer is a godsend.

As I mentioned in this post, I have all but given up on professional manicures. However, the one thing holding me back was my cuticles, which need a trim and cleaning up every so often (despite my best attempts with the Burt's Bees cuticle balm and towel post-shower). I went to Sephora searching for a cuticle pusher, and came out with this nifty mani set. First off, the entire set was $25, while a full-size cuticle pusher is nearly $20 when purchased separately. I'd say the extra little tools and case are worth the extra $5. Second, the hangnail trimmer is proving to be quite useful as we start to enter the drier months of fall/winter. I am notorious for picking at my loose hangnails...this habit combined with my obsessive I-need-to-wash-my-hands-constantly-so-I-don't-get-your-flu-or-cold regime leaves my hands a scaly, itchy, dry mess. This trimmer will help me keep things neat, so I can avoid the urge to pick. Gross.

This set is perfect for a quick and simple at-home mani or pedi. I mainly use the cuticle pusher and nail cleaner (opposite ends of the same tool), along with my full-size metal nail file. The cuticle pusher really helps clean up the nail bed and prep it for color. Plus, the small plastic case is perfect for travel. Although I'm guessing the metal file wouldn't make it through security...my advice is to ditch the file at home and bring your own disposable file on your trips.

Tweezerman Petite Tweezer Set
Retail: $25
Review: Good value if you're after the Tweezerman brand. Tweezers are small...may be too small for some. Also, they are quite sharp...took about 2 months to wear them down even a little. Can't beat the Tweezerman lifetime warranty - a HUGE plus!

I bought this set after my cheapo Revlon tweezers were so dull, they failed to remove even the thickest hairs. Most of the regular-sized Tweezermans run at $20-$25, so when I saw these slightly smaller tools at a two-for-one price, I caved. It is nice to have the separate tip options...the pointy tip can remove even the smallest, most stubborn hair, while the slant tip is a classic option for everyday grooming. The tools are small...this doesn't bother me since I usually hold the tweezers close to the ends during use...but I'm guessing that those used to standard-size tweezers might find them difficult. Also, they are incredibly sharp at first. Nearly every time I used them for the first 2 months, I'd end up ripping out some skin along with eyebrow hairs. Not good and ouch. They finally seem to be softening up at the edges, but I still think I need a ginger touch for a few months more. Overall, I'm super pleased with these, and think my sentiments are summed up best by the following review from the Sephora website: "So glad I found Tweezerman and I love the pink color. FINALLY, I can pluck with abandon! :-)"

No comments:

Post a Comment