Wednesday, November 25, 2009

review: yogurt

And she's alive! After a bout with some kind of stomach bug and a longer bout with acid reflux, I'm finally feeling like my old self. I have the wonders of modern medicine (read: Prilosec) to thank, and also some diet and lifestyle changes. All in about a week and a half. Phew. Sadly, one of those diet changes includes yogurt, which is on the list of foods to 'consume with discretion.' This is probably due to the fact that most people are in some way lactose-intolerant; also, limiting fat intake is one way of avoiding heartburn.

Prior to our honeymoon in Greece, my world was limited to Dannon, Yoplait, or Stonyfield (on sale). I had not yet discovered food blogs, nor did I even look at yogurts over $0.75. For shame! I'll never forget my first taste of Greek-style yogurt...at breakfast on a veranda in Mykonos, overlooking the sea. I attributed our daily breakfast yogurt, topped with honey and muesli, to keeping the weight from creeping on during our travels throughout the Greek Isles (that is, until we got to western Europe...more on that another time, yikes!)

I've tried most of the commercially-available Greek yogurts, and my favorite is 2% Fage, hands-down. It's not as rich and fatty as the full-fat Fage, but not as tangy as the 0% Fage. It's perfectly creamy and satisfying and flavorful. Although expensive ($1.89 at our local Whole Foods, $1.79 at the nearby Trader Joe's), it's a splurge I don't mind making.

My second favorite would be Chobani (I have only ever seen 0% fat versions). It's cheaper than Fage (at least $0.70 cheaper), and tastes wonderful. Better yet, Chobani makes amazing flavored yogurt...with fruit-in-the-bottom choices like Pomegranate, Pineapple, or Strawberry (these have some added sugar). The texture isn't as rich as Fage, and it has less of a tangy bite, so it's a good option for those just starting out on Greek yogurt.

I recently tried Siggi's -- an Icelandic strained yogurt. There has been quite the buzz about this brand all over the food blogs...so I decided to try it when it was on sale. All I can say is BLEGH! It was way too tangy and sour! The texture is quite creamy and custard-like, but that doesn't make up for the taste. At over $2 for 6 oz., it's the most expensive strained-yogurt option, and not worth it, imo. Perhaps the flavored versions are better than the Vanilla I tried?

I know many people love the Trader Joe's Greek-style yogurt, which is the cheapest at under $1. I didn't care for it. Not enough texture for my liking, and the taste was meh. I also can't really comment on the Oikos brand (made by Stonyfield)...I once found a hair in my Oikos yogurt and promptly threw it away after a mere two spoonfuls.

I'd love to try and make my own yogurt from scratch...my mom does it all the time with live cultures from India. Another option is to strain the extra whey from a regular tub of plain yogurt...I have been meaning to try this but cheesecloth always slips my mind at the grocery store.

Despite my recent health shortcomings, I still plan to enjoy my yogurt a few times a week. The benefits from the calcium, protein, and probiotics outweigh the potential discomfort I may have (I say that now, but may reconsider if I actually have a bad episode). Stay tuned...

Yogurt Reviews:

Fage Review 1
Fage Review 2

Fage Review 3

Fage vs. Oikos

Fage vs. Chobani vs. Oikos

Chobani Review 1
Chobani Review 2
Siggi's Review 1
Siggi's Review 2


How-To Guides:

How to Make: Homemade Yogurt
How to Make: Greek-style Strained Yogurt

How to Make: Greek-style Strained Yogurt (from scratch)


PS: Griffin's fave yogurt is Fage too! Spoiled pup...

From Griff being cute

No comments:

Post a Comment