Thursday, April 1, 2010

confession: I'm still watching project runway

Yes I realize I'm a week behind on this, but I finally caught last week's Project Runway from my DVR. A few thoughts.

1) Is anyone still watching this, after the switchover to Lifetime and the last abysmal season? I think the talent is definitely superior to last season, but not as good as other seasons (I happen to think Season 4 where Christian Siriano won was THE best - I LOVED Jillian's designs).

2) I want to punch Emilio's smug look off his arrogant face. I hope he gets sent home, but is clearly going to be in the top three. I think the producers have a shady hand in this - especially with sending my beloved Anthony home!

3) To say Michael Kors is becoming bitchier is putting it mildly. Watching him ridicule Jonathan and basically laugh in his face was kind of hard to watch. Not sure if he's being egged on, but it's getting old.

4) Best line of the episode: You don't have to have the crown to be the queen. -Anthony upon exit.

5) Gawd I heart Tim (from his Blog on the Lifetime site)

Emilio wins. Please note that I do not include an exclamation point (!). I can't be insincere or duplicitous. Emilio's win left me questioning the critical objectivity of the judges. Let's begin with the print. I was underwhelmed by the scale, color and hand-drawn execution; it looked sloppy and childlike. There was no semblance of sophistication. Furthermore, I was extremely put off by the narcissism demonstrated by the use of his initials (though I had no idea that that's what the script was until he told me), at least at this stage in his career. Gucci? OK. Louis Vuitton? Fine. But Emilio Sosa? Not yet. There is a way, however, that he could have pulled this off; that is, by winking at us through the use of wit or whimsy. But I don't believe that he has the capacity to understand those nuances.


Jonathan created a beautiful textile that was all about subtlety and nuance. It was also about sophistication, as was his design. The dress was polished and elegant, and the corresponding jacket was a nod to innovation, which he needed...Imagine my incredulity when the judges descended upon him like velociraptors, using words like "appalling" and "catastrophe" and terms like "a disco straitjacket." Was that really necessary? I was proud of Jonathan for pushing back at them and standing his ground. As I remind all the designers: Chacun à son gout — it's a matter of taste.

Picture source

No comments:

Post a Comment