Tuesday, November 17, 2009

find of the day: alloy puffer coat

I associate Norma Kamali with cheap-looking loungewear found in the women's section of Loehmann's. But apparently the original Norma Kamali coat is a cult classic? Who knew!

Norma Kamali Sleeping Bag coat in NYC storefront

The fashion mag blogs have been going crazy over Norma Kamali's version of the Sleeping Bag coat for Walmart.

Norma Kamali for Walmart Sleeping Bag Coat

The new version reminds me of a fug wrap dress that Christopher (Project Runway) would make from some awful polyester fabric he thought was 'fabulous' to send down the runway. I don't care that it's only $35, and can think of several better ways to spend that $.

Anyway, I spotted an inspired-by piece on Alloy, of all places, that I thought was actually a pretty chic alternative. Before I get to that, I don't get Alloy. Is in mainly an online retailer? Or a lifestyle site for tweens? Confusing. Also confusing that they are catalog-only. Anyways...


The coat comes in a gunmetal grey and black. Appears to have some flattering seaming and bell sleeves that don't look outdated. Original price is $79.90 but it's currently on sale for $64.90 (I see a free shipping code and a 15% off code on retailmenot). The brand is CoffeeShop, which has produced decent-quality coats in past years, and since the coat is a poly/down fill, it might offer at least moderate protection from the cold. Buy it, love it, and be glad you didn't get the trash-bag alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment