Friday, November 6, 2009

review: Anthropologie Bull's Eye Dress

Anthropologie (Lil) Bull's Eye Dress
Color: Navy with orange and white accents
Retail: $158
Review: Fits true to size. Super versatile and flattering. Not lined.


This was on my fall wishlist not too long ago. My size sold out online, so I trekked to my nearest Anthro to snag the dress....alas, it was sold out at the store! Of course, this sent me into a frenzy, fearing that I'd never even be able to try on the darn thing. I filled out a form with the SA, and she promised to track down my size and call me to do a free charge send.

I waited 3 whole days. No call. Did they forget about my inquiry? Who knows, but how annoying, right? I emailed CS and received a response within 12 hours, listing every store in the country that still had the dress in my size. All 7 of them. Oy! I finally managed to get through to an Anthro in NJ to do a charge-send for 2 different sizes. Just to make sure.

I'm usually a 2/4 in dresses. On a good day, I can squeeze into a 0, but 2 gives a good, close fit and 4 gives me and the girls some breathing room. I kept the size 4 in this dress. It offered slightly more room in the bust, and more length. Truth be told, I'm usually hesitant about ruffles that are on or around any part of the bust, but these are quite flattering.

This dress is a soft silk...a review on the website claims it's also machine-washable (on delicate cycle in cold water I'm sure). It falls beautifully and doesn't linger over any lumps and bumps. That being said, it is silk and unlined. I'd highly recommend investing in a slip (someday I will wax philosophical on why every adult woman should own at least 4 slips) to keep this nice and flowy and not clingy. The waist is elastic, but is actually set at the smallest part of the waist (unlike F21's elastic waists). The removable belt is actually pretty substantial, and also has a buckle (the super thin belt loops, though, annoy me every time...they always break!). I have to say, though, that the dress looks A-MAZING with the snakebite belt. I tried it on for Hubs and when I swapped the belts out, he said '"wow, yes keep it!" Also nice are functional buttons down half of the dress and ties at the neck.

I love the dress, but am still a little meh about paying full price. However, it truly is a season-less piece that is well-made and pretty classic. The design is bolder in person then it appears on the site, which I happen to love. I'm planning to wear the dress this weekend with some sliver wedge tall brown boots and a long oatmeal-colored cabled cardigan...hopefully we'll get a nice, sunny fall day!

11/11 Update: Lily on How I Met Your Mother was wearing this dress in Monday's episode. I've noticed they put her in a ton of Anthro stuff, all of which is super flattering! She paired it with a brown leather belt at her natural waist. Loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment