Thursday, June 11, 2009

review: huzzah for the gizeh

Birkenstock 'Gizeh'
Color: Black patent Birko-flor
Retail: around $80
Review: Runs a full size large. Color is true. Birko-flor is soft and comfy.
I've been eyeing these for over a year now! It all began when I saw a Tory Burch sandal of the same style...I waited and waited for them to go on sale, and eventually missed out completely. Admittedly, I was a tad hesitant to go to the Birkenstock brand, not-so-fondly recalling the grunge and hippie trends of my middle school years, when the cool kids had the Birks they rocked with their flannel shirts and leggings. I remember begging my parents for a pair, and when I finally got them as a birthday gift (the classic two-strap in a tan suede), everyone had, of course, moved on to Converse, and mine were relegated to being house shoes.

Anyway, I've been researching these for nearly a year, not wanting to pay full-price and also totally confused by sizing. As most reviews on zappos.com say, this sandal runs a full size big. It also comes in leather, suede, and something called Birko-flor (leather-like material, which is not quite pleather). I ordered mine from Macys. We have a ton of gift card cash to still spend from wedding gifts. Plus, they had free shipping and an additional discount on fragrance purchases this past weekend...we both bought new Bulgari and I got the Birks!

Ordered on Sunday night, received everything by Wednesday. Holy fast standard shipping! I'm a true size 7 in most brands, and ordered a Women's 6 in a medium width (equivalent to a Eur 37, according to the box). They fit perfectly after some buckle adjustment. The footbed is stiff, but should break in and mold beautifully. The Birko-flor has a nice, chic finish to it, and some sort of soft material on the underside (this is lacking on the true leather Gizeh...people often complain of chafing against the skin). They aren't as streamlined as some of the other sandals out there, but I could definitely wear them all day when walking around (more than I could say for my Havaianas flip-flops or Tory Burch Ali sandals!) These periodically go on sale, so keep an eye out, or at least purchase with a code!

No comments:

Post a Comment