Monday, June 29, 2009

shamon!

Gathering @ The Apollo on the day of MJ's death

Although Michael Jackson's untimely death has been covered by every media outlet since last week, I couldn't help but add my own small tribute. I remember feeling like the coolest kid on the block when I got my Bad album on tape. I listened to it over and over on my tiny boombox in my room, until I had memorized all the words and/or had danced myself silly. Sure, he had his faults, shortcomings, questionable decisions, and life spent on the fringes, but none of that takes away from his career and what it did for everything from music to race issues around the world. His life and career would certainly make for a compelling piece on the consequences of child stardom, child abuse, alienation, race transcendence, and celebrity! I know my generation will always remember where we were when we heard the news...

2 of my fave Jackson songs, the way we'd like to remember him:

No comments:

Post a Comment