Sunday, June 14, 2009

review: i dew!

DDF Ultra-Lite Oil-free Moisturizing Dew SPF 15
Retail:  $40 for 1.7 oz. 
Review:  A wonderful moisturizer+spf option for combination and oily, as well as sensitive skins.  Smooth, light texture.  Does not cause breakouts.  Travel-friendly size. 


Yes, I've decided to add product reviews here in addition to clothing reviews.  It probably won't happen often...only when I truly feel the need to sing the praises of something I've found [by the way - the reviews on MakeupAlley.com and Sephora.com are pretty comprehensive].  So why the Dew?  Long story short, I suffered from breakouts and acne for years.  It wasn't severe, but I was never completely clear, and always felt self-conscious about my face.  As I progressed through my 20s, things went from bad to worse (most likely due to hormonal changes).  Shortly after we got married, I switched to hub's far better health insurance and made a dermatologist appointment here in the city.  She took one look at my face, and prescribed a battery of stuff to wage acne war.  Oral antibiotics to get rid of bacteria beneath the skin, a topical antibiotic for the a.m., and Differin [a mild retinol that has changed my skin...more on that some other time] for the p.m.  Retinols and oral antibiotics each contribute to extreme sun sensitivity, so Dr. implored me to use a sunscreen by day.  

Problem is, I've never had luck with finding a good spf-containing moisturizer.  I've tried everything from Clinique, Shiseido, Olay, Dior...nothing felt right on my sensitive skin.  Enter DDF's Ultra-Lite Oil-free Moisturizing Dew SPF 15.  I had tried the non-spf version years ago, and found it too light of a gel moisturizer...even for my oily-in-the-summer skin.  The new SPF version, though, is the perfect texture and weight for me in the summer.  If you have tried the classic gel version, this one is much more opaque, with a creamy texture and without the typical sunscreen smell.  It provides just enough moisture, and so far (about 1 month now), has not caused breakouts nor irritation and redness.  I am committed to Dior's Sorbet Creme for fall/winter, but I may have just found my holy grail spring/summer moisturizer.  Head to Sephora for a sample, and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment