Thursday, July 30, 2009

current obsessions

Thought this would be a fun thing to do every so often! My current obsessions, in no particular order:



These have been at my Whole Foods all summer, and I finally decided to stray from my usual Granny Smiths. Oh my. They are juicy and sweet and simply heavenly. I think they may be a decent addition for a Green Monster, since they are sweeter than most other kinds of apples.



We are hooked! I am constantly trying to think of different versions. We don't go for the fancy shmancy health food add-ins, like flax seeds or hemp powder...the most we have done is add some Sun Warrior protein powder to make this more of a meal replacement. I think peanut butter is the best addition by far though...it gives the GM a wonderful creamy texture and nutty flavor. I'm too cheap for almond butter, but perhaps we'll give it a go one of these days.

Homemade ice cream & sorbets


I don't think I realized the true splendor of the fabled Kitchenaid stand mixer until we bought the ice cream maker attachment. It is WONDERFUL and so easy to use. You simply place the entire bowl in the freezer for at least 15-20 hours, and prepare whatever frozen mix you'd like! I have made a fro-yo to die for, and a few different mango-based sorbets with super ripe mangoes that we had laying around. Eventually I'll work up to actual ice creams (they are a bit more complicated...you need to use the stove *gasp*). Get one and never look back!


I had eyed this class for a while, and finally decided to try it. Whoa. After the first day I was pretty much incapacitated for a week. I'm talking waddling down the street and being unable to lower myself onto the couch without wincing in pain. I've now worked up to going twice a week. The 45-minute class is a full-body workout - targeting your core, shoulders, back, legs, butt, etc...by the end you are sweating and your heart is racing, but you feel amazingly empowered. Kellie Roman teaches the class and she is a freaking star...her body is sick and she motivates you while pretty much doing every movement with the class. Think it looks easy? Try doing this after 40 minutes of squats and lunges! I've been wanting to incorporate weights into my workout routine again, and this is a great way to do so!

So You Think You Can Dance


I had given up on Fox and it's 'reality' competitions ever since Chris Daughtry got booted off America Idol and that buffoon Taylor Hicks won. Until I started watching SYTYCD. It feeds my lifelong fantasy of being an amazing dancer (or being able to dance for that matter), and I am always wowed by the routines. The judges never seem to be posturing or putting on a show...their commentary is usually good and on point (except for Nigel's recent comment about Evan's 'heavy eyelids', wtf was that about?) I think Kayla and Brandon are the clear front-runners and favorites of the judges, but Jeanine is who I'm rooting for...she's powerful, graceful, humble, and has nailed just about every routine.

Summer Thunderstorms


Trying to turn a negative into a positive here. We've reached the point of the season where it starts to get unbearably humid and hazy. The regular afternoon thunderstorms are a bit tough to deal with (what is this, Miami?) but there is something so cool about a strong summer storm. The sudden blackness, silence, and calm breeze ahead of the storm...the sheets of rain that can seem to move sideways, the constant lightning that turns the sky orange...and the clear, clean air once it's done shortly after. Ever notice the sky and sunset after a good storm? It's seriously beautiful.

Prints!
I am loving prints this summer! Florals, geometric patterns, plaids...even animal prints! I have been looking for a way to freshen up my closet a bit and make outfits more interesting, without having to rely on crazy accessories. These are just a few of the things that I love.



This is really the best time to stock up on swim basics, shorts, and flip flops. Did I get any of these from J Crew? No! But I did snag many other adorable items that have sent J Crew bloggers into a tizzy over the past season. I have yet to find a solid explanation for it, but popular items tend to randomly 'pop-back' onto the site. Seasoned J Crew online shoppers know to log on early and quickly scan the sale section for popular marked-down pop-backs...often there are just one or two in stock, and you're lucky if it's your size. Sadly, they probably aren't doing any more additional % off markdowns, but it's still fun to see what's in stock before summer goes buh-bye, and stock up on pieces that could transition into fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment