Monday, July 20, 2009

review: F21 slowly improves quality & fit

I know, I know, I promised wedding reviews. They are forthcoming! But I really felt the need to write a bit of an updated review on F21. Because we are still knee-deep in recession, the clothing in the stores has been completely snooze-worthy. We're also at that weird in-between-seasons point...summer items have been in stores for a few months and are slowly being put on sale, while early fall is making its debut. Indeed, Nordstrom's Anniversary sale (based on the online selection, I'd recommend sitting it out) is just one sign that summer is officially on the downswing. *sniff*

Thank goodness F21 still has some funky and trendy summer pieces! In my last 2 orders at F21, I've been surprised at the quality and fit of the items. I also finally broke down and ordered a pair of jeans, and was pretty thrilled with them upon arrival. I still won't visit the Union Square store location unless I am in dire need of a cheap pair of costume earrings or something, but I am really encouraged to order more fun pieces and basics.

Definitely more then I like to spend on a single piece at F21, but I really fell in love with this print. The fit is tts, if not a bit loose. A tie-waist (yay no elastic) allows you to wear it totally blousy, or a bit more streamlined. I love the crochet detail at the neck as well. I plan to take this to Cabo, and wear it as a cover-up by the pool...would also work with white or denim shorts, or even some brown cropped leggings and flat metallic sandals.

What a steal! I have been searching for a lightweight skinny to wear for the rest of the summer. These fit the bill, with a perfect amount of stretch, and a comfortable 8.5'' rise. I tend to steer away from cheap-looking fading and distressing...the dark rinse and simple pockets make these look more $$$ than they are. The fit is tts to slightly big...I could have sized down to account for stretch with wear.


I used to be committed to AA's tees -- stocking up every season on my whites in every neck style. Unfortunately, by the end of the season, they are always dingy with stitching coming loose and slight pilling. Perhaps the washers I use are to blame, but really, for the amount of markup AA charges, you would think their basics would last longer than a single season of regular wear! F21's H81 tees are so soft and the perfect weight...not thick like Old Navy's basics, but not tissue-thin like Jcrew's. This one fit similar to my beloved AA summer tee. And at these prices, if they do fall apart by the end of the season, I'm ok with that. I sized up in this for a loose, casual fit.


This might be my fave piece, next to the floral tie top. It is lightweight, and a bit darker than the pic shows. It's also a great summer-fall transition piece. I plan to wear it today with some black cropped leggings and simple flip flops....come fall I am picturing it with dark dark skinnies, brown boots, and a statement pendant necklace. It has a preppy vibe, but the buttoned cuffs and pintucking keep things interesting.


Some things about F21 still irk me. Like the Union Square location (can you tell how much I loathe that place?) And the fact that their dresses barely skim a normal person's behind. And yes, the elastic hem on 80% of the pieces. The sizing is getting better but still not standard...Love21 runs HUGE compared to H81 which I find tts. Finally, the quality still runs the gamut from surprisingly good to pretty bad. But F21 still seems to be thriving in this tough retail environment, and if you're willing to dig a little and do some research, you'll be pleased with the items you can find.

*ETA - Ok so I stupidly realized the floral tunic top DOES have elastic. Oops! However, it is not a smocked elastic that I so very much hate. It's an elastic tie that can be loosened and tightened to one's desire. I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment