Monday, July 13, 2009

review: anthropologie behind the clouds dress

Moulinette Souers 'Behind the Clouds' dress (from Anthropologie)
Color: Comes in green and dark grey
Retail: $138
Review: Runs true to size. Lightweight material is perfect for spring/summer affairs. Strategic pintucks and bandings results in an extremely flattering and slimming piece. Love!
Everyone at some point gets caught in this position: You have an event coming up, and zero in on a dress in your closet you plan to wear...try it on a few days before said event and oops! It doesn't fit! This was the position I found myself in...almost suffocating in a dress that fit well just a year ago. Le sigh. On my 5'2'' frame, an extra few pounds translates to an extra dress size. While I wallowed, Husband insisted I go out and buy a dress that made me feel fabulous.

Enter the Behind-the-Clouds dress. Anthro has really won me back over the last few years. Their pieces have become more attainable, more varied...less out there and crazy like they had been in the past, while the quality has increased imo. I also like the somewhat elusiveness of Anthro. How many weddings have you attended where someone is wearing a classic JCrew silk halter dress, or a printed Banana Republic sheath from the season's collection? This doesn't seem to happen as much with Anthro...the pieces are just unique enough, and the store not yet super widespread, where this needn't be a worry.

I saw the Clouds dress on the site, visited Anthro on Sunday afternoon, and was immediately drawn to the vibrant green color, which I spotted through the side window (the downtown 5th Ave. location has the worst setup imo, but that rant is for another day/post). I grabbed both colors and headed down to fitting. The green is gorgeous and vibrant...more of a turquoise-y green than a true green, while the grey is an elegant almost silver-y black. The dark grey could easily be dressed up or down, while the green is the perfect punch for a warm weather event. The dress is 100% true to size, bra-friendly (a must for me), and would be flattering on just about anyone with curves (see diagram below). Fully lined, the top layer is a floaty cotton silk blend. It slimmed, it flattered, I fell in love. Ever the indecisive one, I ended up getting both. Husband's reaction when I tried it on was 'Wow!' It's a keeper!


*Update (7/23) - I might have to get the dress taken up a tad at the sleeves (curses my petite frame and larger chest). In many of our pics, I see bra peeking through. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment