Friday, July 24, 2009

wedding tips: choosing the paparazzi


After we had settled on the location, I set out to research photographers. We were willing to spend a bit more in this area, so I really wanted someone good (and the good ones get booked early during wedding season)! We met with both Indian and non-Indian photographers. I was leaning toward a non-Indian photographer, while my parents wanted an Indian photographer. A traditional Indian wedding is so intricate, with so many important details...they were worried an 'outsider' would fail to capture the nuances of our ceremony. I felt that many of the Indian photographers I checked out tended to be 'cookie cutter'...most trained in India and had some pretty old-school photography styles. Nothing different, nothing artistic, and kind of cheesy!

While I was willing to try something different, it was important that my photographer had done at least a few Indian weddings so that they knew a little bit of the culture, tradition, etc. I also wanted to choose a photography company that had an in-house videographer. Not only did I not have the time to try and track down a separate videographer, but I also wanted the video and photography to be as seamless as possible. Too often, you hear stories about a photog and videog clashing (this, in fact, occurred at our second reception in Miami!) It was also imperative that I be able to keep all electronic proofs after the wedding. It still boggles my mind that people pay so much for a photographer at their wedding events, and they don't even get to keep the pictures! I love the idea of picking through pics that don't make it to my wedding album and someday creating a few 'fun' albums on my own.

Personal recommendations are a great way to start! Wedding photographers come in all shapes and sizes - from large ones devoted exclusively to weddings, to independent photographers that operate alone. It really depends on what kind of pictures you want, as well as your budget. Many times, the independent photographers will have better rates (but not always) with some room for negotiation, and you can get to know them fairly well. On the other hand, larger companies can offer additional photographers if you have a larger wedding (we ended up having 3 photographers for the day, and they did a wonderful job of capturing everything). Independent photographers often take more risks and their photos are more 'artsy.' In all honesty, I would have loved to find someone like this, but being a full-time student located 3 hours from home made it difficult to do the kind of searching I would have liked!

When you have your first meeting with the photog, try and get a feel for them and their personality. The more comfortable you are with your photog, the better your pics will turn out in the end. Look through their portfolio; if they have worked at your specific location, ask if you could see those pics as well. I not only looked through our photog's albums, but I also asked to see the Indian weddings they've shot. I got to see a few different albums, as well as a completed video. Price out your options - particularly if you are upgrading things in your album or asking for a photographer at, say, your rehearsal dinner as well. Our photog didn't give us much wiggle room - everything was an additional, and up-front fee - and the total was much more than we expected when we did the final tally. As for us, after some convincing (and visiting some Indian photographers whose rates were outrageous), my parents felt comfortable with my photog/videog choice, and we booked them! People are amazed at the teaser photos we have (we have yet to finalize our album - for shame!), and I know the albums will be even more amazing!

Don't be shy about asking many questions! Here are a few to get started:
*What are your packages priced at?
*How flexible is each package? Can I add (say, a second full album), or subtract (no thank you cards)?
*Do you offer an engagement session? Where? Is there an additional charge for choosing the place?
*How many photographers/videographers will I have?
*How many hours will you be with us? What is the charge for any additional time?
*Will I be able to keep all of the photos electronically, even if I don't choose them for my wedding album?
*Can I have teaser photos or video in advance?
*When do I receive the final products (albums, proofs, etc.)?
*Would it be possible to show pictures from the wedding during the reception? {This is a common practice at Indian weddings.}
*Will I be able to schedule a few meetings in advance of the wedding to go through my schedule with the photographer and videographer?

No comments:

Post a Comment