Thursday, October 15, 2009

review: MAC Volcanic Ash Exfoliator


MAC Volcanic Ash Exfoliator
Retail: $19.50 for 3.4 oz.
Review: Did nothing but dry out and irritate my skin. Exfoliation is minimal at best. Expensive for the quality.

I'm a sucker for anything limited edition. I couldn't give a hoot for if something is available year-round. But products made under 'when-it's-gone-it's-gone' policies make me panic in the same way that a Gilt sale might. I must have it. Now.

I had read the hype around MAC's Volcanic Ash Exfoliator when it first came out. At the time, I was battling skin issues and didn't want to add another unknown to the mix, so I passed. When it was re-released, and the beauty blogosphere rejoiced, I headed to my nearest MAC counter and snatched it up. Differin makes regular exfoliation essential for me...St. Ives is my reliable standby product, while Boots micro-dermabrasion scrub is great for when I need a deeper and stronger scrub. But...BUT...what if the MAC scrub was better? And it sold out before I even got to try it? And I NEVER KNEW!?!?

Dramatic much? Yeah...and that's what I'd describe the hype as. This could possibly be the worst scrub I've ever used! The directions say to use a dime-sized amount all over the face and/or body every few days - applying to a damp face, working into skin for a minute or two, and gently rinsing with warm water. First off, the granules are sugar, which means that they melt away within 5 seconds of use. I need at least 20 seconds of scrubbing action to rid my skin of flakies and dullness...this didn't cut it. Secondly, the scrub began to burn my skin during use. It remained red in patched even after I moisturized. Finally, it thoroughly dried out my face...to the point that it was tight and flaky all day long!

To be fair, I do like the squeeze bottle, and the fact that it turns from jet black to grey as you use it is pretty cool (it does stain so relegate this to in-shower use only). The scent is quite nice...a nice hit of lavender that I enjoyed...but I suspect that fragrance may be one of several skin irritants. This scrub might be a better option for combination or oily skin types...many MUA reviewers praised it's acne-fighting ability...sensitive or dry skin types should stay away. As far as being a 'scrub'...I'd beg to differ...you might be better served rubbing it into skin until the granules dissolve, and then leaving it on as a mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment