Friday, October 23, 2009

review: Target suede (Ugg-look-alike) boots

Target Exhilaration Suede Boots
Retail: $24.99 for short, $29.99 for tall [Available in black, gray, chocolate, tan, chestnut]
Review: Nearly identical to UGGs. Comfortable. Run true to size, but if planning to wear barefoot, size down 1/2 size.
target suede boots

Once upon a time, I refused to put a pair of UGGs on my feet. You were supposed to wear it barefoot, and it made feet look super wide...it was a trend I could do without. Five years later, it seems that UGGs:winter::Havaianas:summer (my goodness, how dorky is that?) I bought myself a tall and short pair, and lived in them on casual days. As with any trend, high demand puts pressure on a company's ability to produce...UGG manufacturing was soon outsourced to China (I believe the Ultras are still made in New Zealand, though), and in my humble opinion, the quality took a nosedive. The once plus sheepskin interior felt rougher, and I heard stories of boots falling apart after just a season or two of wear. $150-$200 suddenly didn't seem worth it.

UGG look-alikes have been around nearly as long as UGGs themselves. The Target (Xhilaration brand) boots are possibly the spawn I have ever seen. Long story short, I needed a pair of easy on/off boots to wear to Pilates classes and for short puppy potty trips outside. I didn't want to worry about weatherproofing or dye rub-off from my pants. If they got nasty, I could toss them come spring. These fit the bill.

I dare you to find a substantial difference between UGGs (left) and the Target version (right)!
suede boot comparison

These are as comfortable as UGGs. I wouldn't wear either for long walks around the neighborhood, given the lack of substantial support. The interiors are mildly soft and cushy (may irritate those sensitive to synthetic materials). But they're perfect if you're on the go, or for a casual day.

To further convince you, I sat with both in hand and did a close side-by-side comparison. Both have a suede exterior, 'faux fur' interior, and rubber sole. Both have similar stitching and seaming. Both seem to run about a 1/2 size big, and only come in whole sizes. The Target sole is slightly thicker, with a slight texture, as compared to the UGG sole. The Target boot is also slightly heavier than the UGGs. Would you be able to spot or feel these diffs while wearing? Probably not. Saving you at least $125.

*Update: Just realized today that the UGG boots are slightly cushier on interior portion of the toebed (the part that cushions the top part of the foot. I suspect this would be replicated in the Target version by getting a size that fits perfectly without socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment